Who can get the Penn State license plate?

Any Penn State fan can get one—students, parents, friends, you name it. You don’t have to be an alum or a Penn State Alumni Association member. You just have to be the registered owner of a qualified motor vehicle in Pennsylvania (a qualified vehicle weighs less than 9,000 pounds and is not a motorcycle).

Who can get the Penn State Alumni Association license plate?

Any active member of the Alumni Association is eligible to receive this plate. The member’s vehicle must be registered in Pennsylvania (a qualified vehicle weighs less than 9,000 pounds and is not a motorcycle).

How much do the plates cost?

The Penn State plate has a one-time fee of $182. The Penn State Alumni Association plate has a one-time fee of $82. As long as you keep your vehicle registration active (Pennsylvania vehicle registrations must be renewed annually), you’ll never have another charge for your plate.

Is my plate purchase tax-deductable?

No. The minimal fee paid in addition to the PennDOT costs for plates is no longer considered a gift to the University and therefore not tax deductible.

Can I personalize my license plate?

Yes, both plates can now be personalized for an additional $108 fee, which goes directly to PennDOT. Please see the application for instructions and how to check number availability. When submitting an application for a personalized plate, please include the $108 personalization fee in the total check amount made payable to Penn State. The Alumni Association will forward the money to the appropriate parties, along with the approved application. You can visit PennDOT's website to check if the personalization you are requesting is available.

How long does it take to get my plate?

Specialty plate applications generally take about 12 weeks for processing and production.

Does ordering a plate impact my current registration?

No. When your new plate arrives in the mail, it will include a new vehicle registration card and sticker. Your registration due date and the dollar amount on your yearly registration will remain the same.

Can I get one of these plates for a state other than Pennsylvania?

While the Penn State plate is only available in Pennsylvania, several other states have Penn State Alumni license plate programs.

I am moving to Pennsylvania. Can I apply for a plate?

You must first register your car in Pennsylvania before you apply for a Penn State Alumni Association plate or Penn State plate.

Can I get a plate as a gift for someone?

Not if you’re trying to make it a surprise. Only the registered vehicle owner may purchase a plate, so you’d need to work together to make it happen.

Who can I contact with questions?

Call 877-778-7467 or email pennstateplate@psu.edu. Staff will be on hand during regular business hours.